Homemade calzone pizza recipe with Bolognese sauce and vegetables
When we are "kitchens" we think of Italy, dishes of automatically come to mind pasta and of course pizzas. These elaborations have become so internationalized that it is very strange to find someone who has never tried them. It is usual for useat pasta or even some pizza several times a week, and of course The more homemade everything, much better.
Is Homemade calzone pizza with Bolognese sauce and vegetables it's a somewhat special pizza version, since it's like you fold the pizza on itself, enclosing inside all the ingredients, and on the outside completely covered with dough. I recognize that at first I did not understand this format because one of the things I like most about pizza is cheese gratin, but the truth is that prepare it so you have your little point, and if we fill it with a good homemade sauce and the appropriate vegetables, the result is authentic ... scandal!
The really good thing about this pizza is that it is not only made with homemade pizza dough, but we have also prepared our own Bolognese sauce. This only means advantage, since both the dough and the sauce you leave them to your liking, working the texture, the flavor and the form that you like, and of course controlling the ingredients, all very natural and appetizing.
Also, in this case homemade doesn't mean complicated, well the pizza dough is a mass very easy to make, you will be hooked to knead if you have not already done so. You can also buy both the Bolognese sauce and the pizza dough already prepared, but being honest, the result (and personal satisfaction) will not be the same, although you can save time.
If you love them pizzas, discover how to elaborate spongy and homemade pizza dough, or if you prefer, thin and easy pizza dough, according to your taste. And when you have the dough done, prepare an exquisite and light vegetarian pizzathe exotic Hawaiian Pizza, a creamy and traditional Pizza Carbonara, or the very tasty onion and roquefort pizza, ideal for lovers of powerful cheeses 😉
Do you want more? In the blog we have the most famous pizzas, highlighting the 4 cheese pizza, the Pizza Carbonara wave Pizza Barbecue, which looks a bit like this calzone with Bolognese sauce, and of course all with homemade pizza dough.
Ingredients for the recipe for homemade calzone pizza with Bolognese sauce and vegetables (for 2 round pizzas, or 1 rectangular pizza the size of the baking sheet):
- 1 eggplant
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tablespoon of capers.
- Black olives.
- 150 gr of mozzarella cheese.
- Olive oil and salt
- For the pizza dough:
- 300 gr of force flour (about 3 glasses of 200 ml water, although if you can weigh it, better).
- 7 gr of fresh yeast.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 15 gr of oil (a couple of tablespoons).
- 200 ml water (1 glass).
- For the homemade Bolognese sauce (with these quantities you will have twice as much Bolognese as you need, but so you have it ready to use it another day in pizza or even with pasta):
- 200 gr of minced meat (100 of pork and 100 of veal).
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion.
- 1 glass of white wine.
- 200 gr of tomato sauce or fried tomato.
- 30 ml of milk
- Oil, salt and pepper.
Preparation, how to make homemade calzone pizza with Bolognese sauce and vegetables:
- Prepare the homemade dough(in case you have not bought it already prepared). You can make ourspongy pizza dough.
How to knead pizza dough
- While the dough is at rest and fermenting, you can start preparing the rest of the ingredients, and we will start with theBolognese sauce, in the link you have the detailed recipe with photographs and tips, although here we include the steps:
- Finely chop the onion and the carrot.
- In a pan, add oil (which almost covers the bottom) and add the onion and carrot. Saute over medium heat until the onion begins to look transparent.
- Add the mince, mix it with the rest of the ingredients and go separating it with the spatula. Add Salt, Pepper Y oregano to taste.
- When the meat is no longer pink, add the glass of White wine and let the alcohol evaporate.
- Add the tomato and the milk, and let it cook for 20 minutes, so that the flavors blend and the texture is smooth.
- We continue with the preparation of the rest of the ingredients. Wash the eggplant, cut it into slices and then diced, and put it in a steam case microwave safe Cook it for about 7 minutes, or until you see that it is tender.
- Peel the onion, cut it into thin strips and, in a pan over medium heat with a little oil Y Salt, skip it for about 5 minutes, until it starts to brown a little. Remove it from the pan.
- In that same pan put a little bit of oil Y Salt again, and skip the eggplant 3-4 minutes to brown a little. Reservation.
- Stretch the Pizza mass giving it a round shape (even better if it is in a cooking mat), and preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Distribute the Bolognese sauce all over the base.
Distributing the Bolognese sauce over the pizza dough
- Place on top of the other ingredients but only covering one half: the eggplant, the onion, the capers and the olives (boneless!).
Spread the rest of the ingredients in half of the calzone pizza
- Sprinkle oregano all over the surface and distributes the cheese.
Pizza calzone with all the ingredients
- Now close the pizza and press the edges so that they are sealed.
Folding the calzone pizza
- Paint it with a kitchen brush with olive oil, and as soon as the oven has reached 200 ° C, enter it and let it cook for about 15 minutes, until you see that the dough is browning.
Pizza calzone ready to go into the oven
- Leave her stand for 5 minutes before cutting it
Freshly made calzone pizza
Time: while the dough rests, you can prepare the rest and compact times.
- Bolognese sauce: 30 minutes.
- Rest of the filling: 15 minutes.
- Dough: 20 minutes plus 60 minutes of rest and stretching, and 15 minutes of baking.
Serve and taste:
After letting it rest for a few minutes, it is time to cut it, and we recommend cut it in the center so that both parts are cooled (it retains a lot of heat inside), and if you want with cutlery or directly with your hands, start enjoying it. To cut it easily, I recommend this pizza cutters which in addition to comfortable occupies very little space
Cutting the calzone pizza
You will see that the mixture is, above all, very tasty, and with that home touch of the dough and the Bolognese sauce, It's really authentic ... scandal!
Homemade calzone pizza with Bolognese sauce and vegetables
Variants of the homemade calzone pizza recipe with Bolognese sauce and vegetables:
If you like the spicy touchDo not hesitate to add some tabasco drops to your homemade Bolognese sauce, or if you have already bought it prepared, add them equally.
Dare to add your favorite ingredients, for example Roquefort or goat cheese shredded, artichokes canned, bacon in small strips, sweet corn… Imagination to the power!
Never buy minced meat already packaged, since its flavor (and content) has nothing to do with the meat you see and choose in the butcher shop, and they chop it without problems. In addition, the only "effort" is to wait for the mincing, which takes a few seconds, and economically it also works out very well, since you can use veal of babilla and loin head, and it is spectacular without having to resort to pieces of meat from higher price
If you want give it a crispy touch pizza outside, when you have closed and painted with oil, sprinkle durum wheat semolina above and, if you can lift it, also below. It is a coarse little ground flour that it gives that "earthy" touch that you will find in the pizzas of many pizzerias, and that I personally love it 🙂