Ribs with potatoes
- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 1.8 / person
- Meat and poultry recipes
- Potato, sauces and side dishes recipes
- Soups, stews and legumes recipes
Ingredients for Ribs with potatoes
- 1 kg pork rib
- 1 red pepper
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots
- 3 large potatoes (if possible, Galician)
- 1 large tomato
- 1 glass of white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste)
- Extra virgin olive oil
I recognize it, I don't care if it's summer or winter, I love stews and stews. Today's recipe is one of the most classic and traditional in the kitchen of walking at home, rib and potato stew, very similar to the one my mother prepares, although not her recipe (I have to make them one day with her to make them look alike). This recipe is easy and economical, and I am sure it is part of the repertoire of many of our mothers and grandmothers.
I know that a priori it may seem that they are not the most suitable dishes for summer dates, which is why they are blunt and fatty that often result, but stews and stews are not always synonymous with fattening or fat food. In today's recipe, if we are careful to remove the fat from the meat, we will have a non-excessively caloric dish with all the flavor of the traditional. Simply try to stew some vegetables to which the meat will be added to be cooked together in its juice.
Although the pork ribs They are not considered as a part of excessive quality, I think that in this dish, the way of preparing them and the combination with vegetables and sliced potatoes, make up a very tasty dish that does not detract from other more elaborate and less economical stews. If you have not yet had the opportunity to try this recipe I recommend it, you know, easy and traditional cooking is always a success in the kitchen and at the table.
Preparation of ribs with potatoes
- Cut the rib into pieces according to our taste, more or less large. In a large pan, heat 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil and brown the rib on all sides, in several batches if necessary. Remove from the casserole and reserve the rib in a bowl and the casserole with the remaining oil.
- Peel the onion and garlic and chop them into small pieces. We heat the casserole that we have reserved with the oil of browning the ribs and add the onion and chopped garlic. If we see that it is necessary we add 3 or 4 more tablespoons of olive oil.
- Sauté over medium-high heat stirring periodically to prevent burning.
- While the onion is cooking, we wash and chop the pepper and add it to the casserole together with the bay leaf.
- We wash and chop the carrot and add to the same casserole. I do not put times of stir-fry, while washing and cutting a vegetable, which is already incorporated into the casserole is being softened.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them by breaking them, without cutting them completely but tearing them apart, cutting them up, so that they release their starch when cooked. We add the potatoes to the casserole and the rib that we have reserved.
- Add the white wine and salt and let the alcohol evaporate.
- While the sauce is stirring, we prepare the tomatoes. To remove the skin we can scald them in boiling water for 1 minute or peel them with the help of a knife. We chop the tomatoes into small pieces and add them to the stew.
- Add ½ glass of water and let cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes and we will have it ready to eat, delicious stew where there are.
When presenting the dish we can do it as it is with the stumps of visible vegetables, or remove the ribs and potatoes and pass the vegetables through the Chinese or the blender to make a finer sauce. And do not forget that this stew is much better overnight.