Galician Larpeira cake. Sweet bun with custard
- 180 minutes
- For 10 people
- € 0.5 / person
- 359kcal per 100g.
- Desserts and sweets recipes
Ingredients for Galician Larpeira cake. Sweet bun with custard
- To make the bun: 440 g. of force flour
- 2 eggs and 60 g. sugar
- 100 g whole milk
- 30 g fresh baker's yeast and 30 g. anise
- 60 g Butter
- 1 tsp salt and zest of a lemon
- For the custard: 250 ml. milk
- 15 g cornstarch, cornmeal
- 1 cinnamon stick, the skin of a lemon and an orange
- 45 g sugar and 1 egg
- Decoration: 50 g sugar, 1 tablespoon anise and 1 egg
- For the syrup: 50 g. water, 50 g sugar and 50 g anise
How to prepare a Larpeira cake.
In Galicia you will find a lot of desserts recipes and sweets that accompany almost every party worth its salt.
Recipes likeAnis donuts, the famous Santiago's cake, fritters, bicas, and of course The Larperia cake.It is a sweet style roscón de reyes but accompanied by custard.
The process might seem laborious and complicated, because of the kneading and the waiting times of the levados, but the truth is that the recipe I bring is not complicated at all.
The kneading time is short and it is not necessary to prepare a supplement so that its texture is juicy and is perfectly preserved overnight.
Another important point of this recipe is that the leap time will not extend much beyond an hour and a half, so we can do it the same day we want to consume it without any problem.
The result is a sweet and juicy cake that, accompanied by the custard cream Y the syrup At the end of the preparation, it gives you a texture of starting and not being able to stop, that is, it is scrubbing.
I encourage you to prepare this cake at home the next time you want one of these, the result will convince you for sure, you will tell me.
Preparation of the larpeiro bun dough
- We warm the milk slightly and when it is warm we dilute the fresh baker's yeast in it.
- It is very important that the milk is not very hot since otherwise the yeast could die and lose its effect.
- In a large bowl we pour the flour and make a hole. We add the rest of the ingredients, leaving for the end the milk with the yeast that we have already dissolved.
- I advise you not to add all the flour, leave 40 gr. to use if we see that it is necessary once we begin to knead.
- The size of the eggs can vary with what depending on these and the type of flour may or may not be necessary.
- We knead with our hands what, at first, will be a very very sticky dough.
- Do not despair, we work the dough for 15 minutes and in the end we see that we get an elastic dough ball.
- If we see that it is necessary we will incorporate the flour that we have reserved.
- In the greased oven tray we place our ball. With the hands we give it a crushed and rounded shape, about 3 cm. thick
- Let the dough rest in the oven off and closed until doubled in size, not less than 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- While the dough cam, we prepare the custard.
Preparation of custard
- We separate 50 ml. of milk in a cup and dilute the cornstarch in it. We reserve
- In a bowl, mix the sugar and the egg and beat until they foam. We reserve
- Heat the rest of the milk with the lemon peel and the cinnamon stick. When it starts to boil, remove the pot from the heat and add the egg mixture and the sugar mixing well.
- We put back to the fire and add the milk with diluted cornstarch. Stir constantly until it starts to boil again. Remove from heat and continue stirring until a homogeneous cream is formed, without lumps.
- We pour the custard in a bowl and stir occasionally until it cools.
Assembly and final presentation
- When the dough has doubled in size and we have the prepared and cold pastry cream we proceed to assembly.
- With a knife we make some incisions forming rhombus on the surface of the dough.
- With a kitchen brush we paint the surface of the cake with the beaten egg.
- We fill a pastry bag with the cream. We make the characteristic drawing of the larpeira filling the lines that we have cut with the knife.
- In a bowl, mix the sugar with the anise and place lots of sugar soaked between the holes left by the custard.
- Bake with the oven previously hot at 180º C with heat up and down for 20-25 minutes.
- Always in the central tray of the oven, if possible in the tray or rack. In the middle of the process we cover the larpeira with aluminum foil so that the surface is not burned.
- While baking the cake we prepare the syrup. In a saucepan we heat and let reduce the mixture of water, anise and sugar.
- We stir constantly for 8-10 minutes being very careful not to burn.
- When we remove the larpeira from the oven we wet it with the syrup all over its surface, being both the cake and the syrup, still hot. Let cool before consuming.
A dessert recipe of yummy to accompany in a large table, Galician or not Galician. It is perfect for the Entroido (Galician Carnival), a noite de San Xoan or any celebration worth its salt.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this Larpeira Galega recipe. Do not miss any detail to make it perfect, as if you were in Galicia.